Lactation consultants serve their communities by providing support for breastfeeding mothers. This support includes education on how our bodies make milk, how babies access mother’s milk, and also support to help solve problems that are specific to the individual mom-baby dyad.
Historically, breastfeeding support was provided by the lactating mother’s immediate community.
In the early 1900s, with the widespread introduction of infant formula, many new mothers were encouraged to feed their children formula via bottle. As a result, a break in the intergenerational passage of breastfeeding knowledge occured. In the 1970s, with the cultural resurgence of breastfeeding, the field of lactation consulting emerged. Lactation consultants serve their communities by providing support for lactating mothers, including knowledge sharing and problem solving skills, to support babies and mothers on their breastfeeding journeys.
Possible reasons for a lactation consultation:
- A painful and/or difficult latch, sore or damaged nipples
- Baby weight gain issues, milk supply issues, fussiness or frustration at the breast
- Prematurity or late preterm infant
- A baby that is “nursing all the time” and never seems satisfied
- Jaundice, tongue tie, medical issues/illness for mom or baby, past breast surgery
- Food sensitivities or allergies for mom or baby
- Returning to work, pumping issues, introducing solid food
- Sleep issues related to feeding
- Lactation support for an adopted baby, nursing an older baby, tandem nursing
- Weaning or any unresolved feeding issues or concerns
An initial consultation
Usually about 2 hours in length, includes a thorough health history of both you and your baby, observation and assessment of how your baby feeds at the breast, as well as a gentle examination of you and your baby as needed.
We allot plenty of time for the questions, concerns and insights you may have pertaining to any challenges you are facing. At the end of our consultation, together we will create a written care plan that is customized for you and your family. Cost of initial consultation is $180.
To encourage close communication we offer a complimentary 15-20 minute phone consultations with each initial visit.
Visits are conducted in the comfort of the home. We currently offer home visits for families in Stuart, Jensen Beach, Palm City, Hobe Sound, Jupiter/Tequesta, and Port St. Lucie, FL.
Follow up consultations
Offered on an as needed basis, are generally 1-1.5 hours in length, during which time we will assess your progress and make adjustments to your care plan as needed. Cost of follow up consultation is $100. To encourage continued close communication we offer one complimentary 15 minute phone consultations with each follow up visit.