At LEIF Therapies, we believe that learning should be a fun and enjoyable experience. Your child learns and grows in a rich environment of positive reinforcement and one-on-one interaction.
Speech language therapy has come a long way from its early incarnation of drill-based table work.
At LEIF Therapies, we focus on play based learning through child led interactions in an environment tailored to engage your child. A speech and language evaluation is recommended when the following is observed:
- Difficulty making and maintaining eye contact with an adult by 6 months
- Limited pleasure observed from face to face interaction with a familiar person by 6 months
- No back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles, or other facial expressions by 9 months
- No strings of speech-like babbling by 12 months
- No back-and-forth gestures, such as pointing, showing, reaching, or waving by 12 months
- No consistent responding to their names by 12 month
- No consistent response to safety directions of ‘stop’ or ‘no-no’ by 12 months.
- No words by 16 months
- No following simple and familiar directions by 18 months
- No two-word meaningful phrases and not saying at least 50 words by 24 month
- No back-and-forth conversational turn-taking by 30 months
- Any loss of speech or babbling or social skills (like eye contact) at any age
We offer comprehensive speech and language evaluation and therapy for children age birth to five years.
Therapy sessions are conducted in the home and vary in length from 25-50 minutes. Together with the family, goals will be identified to best support your child’s communication development; these goals will drive the treatment sessions. Data will be collected to track your child’s progress, as well as changes in their learning pattern.
Caregivers are highly encouraged to participate in therapy sessions.
Your participation in therapy sessions will allow for continuity of focus on therapy goals throughout the week, maximizing learning opportunities outside of speech therapy sessions. With your active participation in learning strategies to nurture communication development, your child will benefit daily from a rich and tailored language-modeling environment.